Diamond Tooth Taxidermy

Exquisite Taxidermy Art and Design

© 2013 Diamond Tooth Taxidermy
Stacks Image 109

About Beth Beverly


I am a State and Federally licensed taxidermist who graduated from the Pocono Institute of Taxidermy in 2010 with high marks. I have a deep respect for this craft and those who strive to preserve it.

It is my pleasure to work on any trophy mount, be it a shoulder, life-size, rug, or fish.

I accept custom orders for fantasy mounts, wearables, and bridal hair pieces.

Sculptural mounts and hats are available for rental provided they are in stock at time of inquiry.

Contact me describing your wish and I will be delighted to make it so.


Diamond Tooth Taxidermy Blog:



Crack is whack. Especially on your trophy antlers.


Occasionally I get repair jobs from folks who have damaged mounts, broken antlers or busted skulls.  This case isn't much different ezcept for the size factor involved.  I think these moose antlers make up the largest rack I've ever dealt with.
The owner had mounted them to a stone wall outside her house but not in any particular fashion that would anchor them in properly, and over time the sheer weight of these bad boys just pulled them out and they fell off.  I'm not sure if the fall caused any of the cracking or of all the blemishes/cracks are just general wear and tear.


Regardless, there were several points at which the cracks compromised the integrity of the the antler itself, plus a handful of cosmetic issues.  I set about using an epoxy compound to fill in the more significant negative space:







 Next I used a type of paint specifically designed for antler restoration  to blend all the filling with the rest of the antler, as well as mixing up the right shades to correct some of the markings that took away from the natural beauty of the actual antler:



Terrible picture for size reference:




 Finished product.  I also drilled more stable holes at the base and left her with instructions on how exactly to have it mounted this time around.


















Restoration project and photoshop skills

!!!Update!  I just received some photos of this mout from the owner, exhisbiting the condition before I restored it!!!!  See below:







 







 



My chicken & egg supplier provided me with an assignment over the holidays: bring back to life this antique rooster mount which belonged to his good friend, another chicken enthusiast.  The tail was the main issue, as it was broken and sagging as a rather depressing angle.  There were other areas which needed improvement as well, so he just told me to give it the works.



And here is the finished and completely restored piece:







The sad, pathetic, kicking myself in the ass part of this is that I accidentally deleted my "before" pics and there is no hope of retrieving them.  So...through th miracles of Photoshop I will attempt to give a proper visual example of what I was dealing with.



Here is my rendering of the "before" shot focusing on the tail.  That part had completely broken from the rest of the bird and needed to be reattached at the correct angle.  I replaced the steel support rod and with the help of a little magic paste and finesse, got the positioning just right.  I then pruned the feathers a bit and arranged them back into what I imagined would have been their proper place.  Some were quite frayed so I tried steaming them, which helped by opening up the fibers a bit until they relaxed back into a straight (not crimped) state, but didn't entirely alleviate the problem.  Next time I'll experiment with some sort of oil.







Tada!







The other major issue was the face. The coloring has completely faded into a dull yellow (I'm assuming in life he was a blushing young thing) and the waddles and comb were dried out and crumpled.  I rehydrated the delicate tissue for a few days until it was malleable enough to get into a more natural position without snapping.  After that the flesh was braced for several more days to cure in the straight position.



After that came painting.  After several tries I found the right combination of matte/glossy coats to achieve the slightly rubbery looking appearance these particular features tend to have on living roosters.



Before:







And after:







Aside from that there was general dusting of feathers, eyes, beak,feet and base and the usual whispering of sweet nothings into the rooster's ear.  He emerged good as new and the client was pleased.
See More Posts…

Back to the top of the page